Skip to main content

Sustainable Clean Energy can boost Africa's economic recovery

Sustainable Clean Energy can boost Africa's economic recovery

Coronavirus presents opportunity for transition to renewable energy, says Osinbajo

• Nigeria’s Post-COVID plan to include 5 million solar connections

As countries continue to recover from the impacts of COVID-19 pandemic, a new guide by Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL), shows investment in clean energy would boost efforts by countries, and help them recover from the adverse effects of the disease.

 According to The Recover Better with Sustainable Energy Guide for African Countries, released last week, investments in clean energy would also give the opportunity to reset economies, especially those of developing countries, and close energy access gaps.

 The Guide said countries that commit to the Recover Better strategy today, could deliver long-term economic growth, new jobs, and sustainable energy for all in the long-term post-COVID-19.

 It maintained that investment in the sector was key to the continent’s economic recovery post-COVID-19, as the pandemic had exposed the deep regional divide on energy access progress. It stated that Africa was a region of growing economic powerhouse, yet its progress was stifled by lack of access to sufficient, reliable, and affordable energy.

 From the latest data on the Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), on access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all by 2030, the progress in Africa is still not on track to meet global targets.

From the data, 565 million people still lack access to electricity, and a further 900 million lack clean cooking solutions, while the pandemic risks setting progress even further behind.

According to the Guide, acting on the enabling measures put forward, countries across Africa would benefit from increased gross domestic product (GDP), affordable energy provision, and improved agriculture, gender and health outcomes. It could also spark the speed and scale needed to meet SDG7, and help put the global economy on a trajectory in line with the Paris Agreement and SDGs.

 Speaking on the guide launch, Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, said COVID-19 had presented a unique opportunity for Nigeria to accelerate the transition to clean, affordable, reliable, and renewable energy sources offered by the sun.

 He said Nigeria was committed to full utilisation of the abundant solar energy source, as the country had removed fossil fuel subsidies and included five million solar connections in its post-COVID economic sustainability plan, being the first steps to new jobs and a cleaner and healthier environment.

“The global economy is increasingly being powered by clean and efficient sources of energy. According to research, dollar for dollar investments in clean energy creates three times the number of jobs compared to fossil fuels. Every 1,000 customers connected to decentralised energy solutions like solar home systems or solar mini grids, supports approximately 25 jobs.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NSE vows to enhance retail investment opportunities

NSE vows to enhance retail investment opportunities   The Nigerian Stock Exchange has expressed its commitment to redefining and improving investors’ overall experience in the Nigerian capital market, and ensuring that it remains modern, convenient and secure. This was highlighted at the inaugural edition of the Retail Investors’ Webinar hosted by the Exchange in collaboration with the Nigerian International Securities Limited on Monday. The event, with the theme ‘Capital market investing in a digital age’, was supported by the Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers and the Association of Securities Dealing Houses of Nigeria. Speaking during the webinar, the Chief Executive Officer, NSE, Mr Oscar Onyema, said, “Investor participation is central to the growth and sustainable development of any economy. “The Exchange is, therefore, committed to facilitating conversations that will expound on the retail investment opportunities available in the capital market and the chann...

NAIRA WEAKENS TO LOWEST IN THREE YEARS

NAIRA WEAKENS TO LOWEST IN THREE YEARS The Naira yesterday weakened to the lowest in over three years in the parallel market due to increased demand for dollars amid foreign-currency shortages. The local currency depreciated to N495 to a dollar yesterday, lowest since February 23, 2017, widening the gap with the official rate of N379.5 to over 30 per cent. The currency traded in the interbank market at 389.74 as of 4:54p.m. in Lagos. Agency reports quoted traders as alleging a groundswell of diversion of dollars, a development which heightened scarcity of the green back in the parallel market this week. There is a diversion of inflows away from official channels to the parallel market due to the gap in rates, Murega Mungai, trading desk manager for Aza Finance said in a note Thursday. The market spread has created arbitrage opportunities for recipients of remittances such as exporters and private individuals. Pent up demand in the foreign exchange market is not unprecedente...

Petrol scarcity looms as tanker drivers halt operations

Petrol scarcity looms as tanker drivers halt operations   Petrol scarcity may surface across the country as the Nigerian Association of Road Transport Owners on Monday ordered tanker drivers nationwide to halt operations beginning from Tuesday (today). NARTO gave the directive in Abuja in protest against the Federal Government’s ban on petroleum trucks above 45,000 litres from plying Nigerian roads. NARTO is the umbrella organisation of all commercial vehicles owners in Nigeria engaged in the haulage of petroleum products, general cargoes, and movement of goods and passengers within the country and the West-African sub-region. Speaking at a press briefing in Abuja, NARTO’s National President, Yusuf Othman, said members of the association would have to park their trucks on Tuesday and Wednesday as warning to government against the abrupt ban. He said, “NARTO received with grave shock the recent government decision to place immediate ban on all petroleum trucks above 45,...