Skip to main content

Local investors take charge as foreign investors remain cautious amid FX scarcity

Local investors take charge as foreign investors remain cautious amid FX scarcity

Renewed positive sentiments in the global space dominated markets in the month of May as investors’ optimism for a speedy economic recovery continues to support appetite for risky assets. This is also coming on the heels of ease in lockdown and gradual reopening of economic activities.

In Nigeria, domestic investors took the driving seat at the nation’s equities market in the month of May as they took positions in cheap and dividend-paying bellwether stocks.

On the other hand, foreign investors who are unable to move their funds from the country due to FX scarcity rolled their money back into the equities market.

In the month of May, total value of transactions executed by domestic Investors out performed transactions executed by Foreign Investors by 40percent.

According to data released by the Nigeria Stock Exchange, total transactions executed between May and April revealed that total domestic transactions increased 11.15percent from N75.49billion in April to N83.91 billion in May 2020. However, total foreign transactions decreased by 33.73percent from N53.18 billion in April to N35.24 billion in April.

Total transactions at the nation’s bourse reduced 7.40percent to N119.5billion, the lowest year-to-date, from N128.67billion recorded in April. The performance in May when compared to the performance in May 2019 decreased 46.12percent

Domestic retail investors marginally outperformed Institutional Investors by 0.56percent. A comparison of domestic transactions in May and April 2020 revealed that retail transactions increased 4.38percent from N40.42 billion in April 2020 to N42.19 billion in May 2020.

Similarly, the institutional composition of the domestic market increased by 18.96percent from N35.07 billion in April 2020 to N41.72 billion in May 2020. This is due to excess liquidity from OMO maturities that found their way into the equities market due to the new CBN policy banning individuals and non-corporate banking from the high yield OMO market.

“The recent rally is not fundamentally driven, what we have seen is more from investments that cannot exit the Nigerian market due to the backlog of FX demands, also maturing debt instruments found their way into the equity market rather than being rolled over at very low-interest rates, Ayo Ogunmola, a Lagos-based stockbroker said.

According to him, last month saw a positive comeback in major markets across the globe due to interventions from Monetary authorities across the globe.

“We saw that reflected in Nigeria across the board. What was fueling the rise in asset prices is Central Banks’ liquidity. The amount of liquidity pumped into the system by the U.S Federal Reserve between March and April has gotten to about $3 trillion. They pumped in about $3 trillion into buying a range of assets such as US Government bonds, U.S backed mortgage securities, and even investment-grade corporate bonds,” he said.

“So, the liquidity helped assets to climb upwards. Whatever obtains within the U.S market usually tends to happen across the globe. The U. S makes up about 40percent of the global stock market capitalization. So, the U.S direction tends to sway the global market either upwards or downwards. Therefore, because the U.S market has been bullish, the Nigerian market was also bullish.” he added.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

N-Power: FG extends Batch C enrolment Aug 8

FG extends Batch C N-Power enrollment to August 8 Add caption The Federal Government says the enrolment for Batch C scheme of the N-Power Programme which started on June 26 will now close on August 8. Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar-Farouq, who disclosed this via  Twitter on Sunday night, said over 5 million applications have been received for the scheme. The Federal Government plans to enrol 400,000 applicants in the Batch C scheme. Batches A and B of the programme who are about to exit the programme held a rally at the National Assembly Complex last week, requesting FG to employ them as well as pay them a grant of N600,000 each. Providing an update on the development, the minister said on Sunday, “I received the news of a protest at the National Assembly by N-Power Batch A and B beneficiaries who presented a list of demands which we are reviewing and will address as practically possible. “Let me reiterate that th...

NAIRA WEAKENS TO LOWEST IN THREE YEARS

NAIRA WEAKENS TO LOWEST IN THREE YEARS The Naira yesterday weakened to the lowest in over three years in the parallel market due to increased demand for dollars amid foreign-currency shortages. The local currency depreciated to N495 to a dollar yesterday, lowest since February 23, 2017, widening the gap with the official rate of N379.5 to over 30 per cent. The currency traded in the interbank market at 389.74 as of 4:54p.m. in Lagos. Agency reports quoted traders as alleging a groundswell of diversion of dollars, a development which heightened scarcity of the green back in the parallel market this week. There is a diversion of inflows away from official channels to the parallel market due to the gap in rates, Murega Mungai, trading desk manager for Aza Finance said in a note Thursday. The market spread has created arbitrage opportunities for recipients of remittances such as exporters and private individuals. Pent up demand in the foreign exchange market is not unprecedente...