Skip to main content

Petrol subsidy gulped N8.94tn in 10 years, says PPPRA

Petrol subsidy gulped N8.94tn in 10 years, says PPPRA

 

The Federal Government spent N8.94tn on petrol subsidy between 2006 and 2015, figures released by the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency on Monday showed.

Data from the PPPRA showed that during the 10-year period, the government consistently spent billions of naira subsidising Premium Motor Spirit, popularly called petrol.

It said that in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, the government spent N257.36bn, N271.51bn, N630.57bn, N469.31bn and N667.08bn respectively.

Also in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015, the government paid N2.104tn, N1.354tn, N1.315tn, N1.217tn and N653.51bn respectively on petrol subsidy.

The PPPRA had in March commenced the deregulation of the downstream oil sector in a bid to halt the continued payment of subsidy.

Before March, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, the sole importer of petrol into Nigeria, had been recording under-recoveries as a result of its subsidy spendings on petrol.

It was reported last week that the PPPRA gazetted a market-based pricing regime for petrol in its bid to further boost the deregulation of the downstream oil and gas sector.

Spokesperson of the agency, Kimchi Apollo, told our correspondent that with the new gazette, oil marketers were now empowered to fix petrol price in accordance with the market realities.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NSE vows to enhance retail investment opportunities

NSE vows to enhance retail investment opportunities   The Nigerian Stock Exchange has expressed its commitment to redefining and improving investors’ overall experience in the Nigerian capital market, and ensuring that it remains modern, convenient and secure. This was highlighted at the inaugural edition of the Retail Investors’ Webinar hosted by the Exchange in collaboration with the Nigerian International Securities Limited on Monday. The event, with the theme ‘Capital market investing in a digital age’, was supported by the Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers and the Association of Securities Dealing Houses of Nigeria. Speaking during the webinar, the Chief Executive Officer, NSE, Mr Oscar Onyema, said, “Investor participation is central to the growth and sustainable development of any economy. “The Exchange is, therefore, committed to facilitating conversations that will expound on the retail investment opportunities available in the capital market and the chann...

NAIRA WEAKENS TO LOWEST IN THREE YEARS

NAIRA WEAKENS TO LOWEST IN THREE YEARS The Naira yesterday weakened to the lowest in over three years in the parallel market due to increased demand for dollars amid foreign-currency shortages. The local currency depreciated to N495 to a dollar yesterday, lowest since February 23, 2017, widening the gap with the official rate of N379.5 to over 30 per cent. The currency traded in the interbank market at 389.74 as of 4:54p.m. in Lagos. Agency reports quoted traders as alleging a groundswell of diversion of dollars, a development which heightened scarcity of the green back in the parallel market this week. There is a diversion of inflows away from official channels to the parallel market due to the gap in rates, Murega Mungai, trading desk manager for Aza Finance said in a note Thursday. The market spread has created arbitrage opportunities for recipients of remittances such as exporters and private individuals. Pent up demand in the foreign exchange market is not unprecedente...

Petrol scarcity looms as tanker drivers halt operations

Petrol scarcity looms as tanker drivers halt operations   Petrol scarcity may surface across the country as the Nigerian Association of Road Transport Owners on Monday ordered tanker drivers nationwide to halt operations beginning from Tuesday (today). NARTO gave the directive in Abuja in protest against the Federal Government’s ban on petroleum trucks above 45,000 litres from plying Nigerian roads. NARTO is the umbrella organisation of all commercial vehicles owners in Nigeria engaged in the haulage of petroleum products, general cargoes, and movement of goods and passengers within the country and the West-African sub-region. Speaking at a press briefing in Abuja, NARTO’s National President, Yusuf Othman, said members of the association would have to park their trucks on Tuesday and Wednesday as warning to government against the abrupt ban. He said, “NARTO received with grave shock the recent government decision to place immediate ban on all petroleum trucks above 45,...