Skip to main content

Company pledges N3m reward for information on killers of its 2 security guards

Company pledges N3m reward for information on killers of its 2 security guards

The management of Okomu Oil Palm  near Benin in Edo has pledged N3 million reward for any information that will lead to the arrest of the suspected gunmen who  killed two of its unarmed security guards.

The company’s Managing Director, Dr Graham Heifer, made the pledge in Benin on Saturday, describing the unknown gunmen as ‘cold blooded assassins.’
Heifer commiserated with surviving personnel of the security firm who protested the killing of their colleagues by criminals who came to steal palm fruits and rubber cup lumps from the company.
He said the death of the security personnel was a big loss to the company and urged the protesters to volunteer useful information that would lead to the arrest of the perpetrators of the dastardly act.
He said  that management would work together with the company and the security agencies until those responsible for the act were apprehended and brought to book.
Heifer said normalcy had returned to the plantation following the quick intervention of the management of the security company and men of the Nigerian Police as well as the Nigerian Army.
 He said that the bodies of the deceased had been deposited in the mortuary and their next of kin had been informed by the security company.
Earlier, the spokesperson for the protesters, said they were on peaceful protest to know the steps taken so far by the management of the company to arrest the perpetrators.
They also called on the police and security agencies to bring the criminals to book.
The protesting security guards urged the state government to deploy soldiers to flush out the miscreants and restore law and order to riverine areas around the Okomu River that served as  their hide out.
The security guards said they had consistently been under attacks from hoodlums who were armed with cutlasses and double barrel shotguns when they stormed Okomu to steal palm products. (NAN)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NSE vows to enhance retail investment opportunities

NSE vows to enhance retail investment opportunities   The Nigerian Stock Exchange has expressed its commitment to redefining and improving investors’ overall experience in the Nigerian capital market, and ensuring that it remains modern, convenient and secure. This was highlighted at the inaugural edition of the Retail Investors’ Webinar hosted by the Exchange in collaboration with the Nigerian International Securities Limited on Monday. The event, with the theme ‘Capital market investing in a digital age’, was supported by the Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers and the Association of Securities Dealing Houses of Nigeria. Speaking during the webinar, the Chief Executive Officer, NSE, Mr Oscar Onyema, said, “Investor participation is central to the growth and sustainable development of any economy. “The Exchange is, therefore, committed to facilitating conversations that will expound on the retail investment opportunities available in the capital market and the chann...

NAIRA WEAKENS TO LOWEST IN THREE YEARS

NAIRA WEAKENS TO LOWEST IN THREE YEARS The Naira yesterday weakened to the lowest in over three years in the parallel market due to increased demand for dollars amid foreign-currency shortages. The local currency depreciated to N495 to a dollar yesterday, lowest since February 23, 2017, widening the gap with the official rate of N379.5 to over 30 per cent. The currency traded in the interbank market at 389.74 as of 4:54p.m. in Lagos. Agency reports quoted traders as alleging a groundswell of diversion of dollars, a development which heightened scarcity of the green back in the parallel market this week. There is a diversion of inflows away from official channels to the parallel market due to the gap in rates, Murega Mungai, trading desk manager for Aza Finance said in a note Thursday. The market spread has created arbitrage opportunities for recipients of remittances such as exporters and private individuals. Pent up demand in the foreign exchange market is not unprecedente...

Petrol scarcity looms as tanker drivers halt operations

Petrol scarcity looms as tanker drivers halt operations   Petrol scarcity may surface across the country as the Nigerian Association of Road Transport Owners on Monday ordered tanker drivers nationwide to halt operations beginning from Tuesday (today). NARTO gave the directive in Abuja in protest against the Federal Government’s ban on petroleum trucks above 45,000 litres from plying Nigerian roads. NARTO is the umbrella organisation of all commercial vehicles owners in Nigeria engaged in the haulage of petroleum products, general cargoes, and movement of goods and passengers within the country and the West-African sub-region. Speaking at a press briefing in Abuja, NARTO’s National President, Yusuf Othman, said members of the association would have to park their trucks on Tuesday and Wednesday as warning to government against the abrupt ban. He said, “NARTO received with grave shock the recent government decision to place immediate ban on all petroleum trucks above 45,...